Popular Posts

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Walk on Water


Life is full of choices. It could be a crossroads moment when there are just too many options. Sometimes, the choice has to be made after a smooth-sailing ride, a boat ride for example. When you are out canoeing one fine peaceful day - happy and content, suddenly, a voice tells you to step out of the boat and walk on water.

Walk on water?!! Are you kidding me? When I was a child, the family went island hopping. The blue waters, the white fluffy clouds brushed on the blue sky were perfect. We rode on a motorized boat and I was just grinning the whole time. We stopped by this light house in the middle of the sea where the water was deep enough for ferries to pass by. The host family friend asked us to jump and enjoy swimming.. I froze right there like a cat hit by lightning. I was scared. Didn't want to get out of the boat.

But I have changed. I am less scared now. I now go snorkeling and kayaking and would love to try other water sports as well.

When it comes to making choices though, I still get scared at times especially when it means no turning back. These are crucial moments when my decision will change not just my life forever, but the lives of my children, hence, the destiny of mankind.

Every time I hear a voice that defines this crucial moment, I ask this very important question first: "Who is calling me to go there?"

This is a lesson learned from Matthew 14:22-33 when Jesus invited Peter to come to him by walking on the water and Peter had to ask Jesus if it was really him calling. Once Jesus confirmed, Peter stepped out of the boat and started walking.

It is a big deal to me to notice that Jesus was calling Peter to "come" (v.29).. He didn't say "go". And as an English teacher, I clearly know the difference between those two verbs. This is indeed one of the powerful accounts in the Gospel for me as it proves that God wants me to find Him through whatever walking-on-water experience I go through. He wants me to see Him at the end of the tunnel. He wants me to find Him ready with a bottle of water after I went out biking. He wants me to see Him with a banquet after I won an award.

God does not intend to throw stones and make crazy ripples in my peaceful pond or blow my bubbles because he wants me to drown. He does so for my good - but most of all, to draw me closer to Him.

Life is full of choices and sometimes the only choice if I am to obey God is to step out of my boat. But now I know that I can always walk on water even those with sharks beneath them as long as "God" is the answer to my question: "Who is calling me?"







No comments:

Post a Comment